The Judge for the 2011 Honey Show will be Lynne Kelton. Lynne is a University of Georgia/Young Harris College Bee Institute certified Welsh Honey Judge.
If you have any questions about the rules or show protocol, please feel free to contact Damon Wallace (our Vice President) at email@example.com.
All State Meeting attendees are encouraged to consider participation in the Honey Show. Ribbon awards will be issued to the winners in each class.
First Place-Blue Ribbon
Second Place-Red Ribbon
Third Place-White Ribbon
Best of Show- Medallion Ribbon
Winners must be present at Closing Convocation to receive the ribbons and bragging rights.
· Only registered Alabama Beekeepers Association members, in attendance at the 2011 State meeting, may enter.
· Judges and stewards are excluded from competition.
· The Alabama Beekeepers Association Honey Show Board reserves the right to limit the number of entries on a first-come, first-admitted basis.
· There are thirteen show classes:
1. extracted honey light
2. extracted honey amber
3. extracted honey dark
4. chunk honey (comb honey in a jar with liquid honey)
5. black jar honey
6. cut-comb (comb honey in a box)
7. creamed honey
8. beeswax cake (a single molded piece of two pounds or more)
9. candle (poured or dipped, straight or ornamental)
10. cosmetic – lip balm, lotions, cream, soap
11. original bee-related photography
12. original bee-related art
13. beekeeping gadget
Contestant may enter in any or all classes but may enter only once per class. The same jars of honey cannot be entered in both the black jar class and another extracted honey class.
· Submit chunk honey in standard one-pound chunk honey jars with wide mouths and straight sides. Insert only one piece of comb in jar. Tamper-proof seals are not acceptable and should be removed prior to submitting your honey for judging.
· The sole criterion in the black jar class is flavor. Your three-jar entry will be placed into black jars by staff. Tamper-proof seals are not acceptable and should be removed prior to submitting your honey for judging.
· Beeswax entries must be pure beeswax. Dyes, added fragrances, glitter or paints are not acceptable. Candle wicks and wick retainers are permitted.
· All cosmetic entries must have a card stating the approximate percentage of “products of the hive” – honey, beeswax, propolis, pollen, royal jelly, venom, et al – that the product contains.
· Do not label products in any way. An identifying code sticker will be assigned to your entry at registration.
o 8:00 – 8:30 AM Friday, 07 October 2011
o 12:00 – 1:00 PM Friday, 07 October 2011
o 8:00 – 8:30 AM Saturday, 08 October 2011
Entries will not be accepted after 8:30 AM Saturday 08 October 2011, at which time the room will be closed so that judging may begin.
END of show rules.
END of show rules.
The Alabama Honey Judging Contest Results.
The following table shows all classes and who won what ribbon at the 2011 convention.
No input was available for the 2010 convention.
The following table shows all classes and who won what ribbon at the 2009 convention.
Last updated 10/19/11 brf/lk